New trial available: Click on any alert below and access our regulatory alerts and get timely notifications sent to your inbox for 7 days.
Daily news alerts
5th December 2023
- Romania: An HHC manufacturing company has been sanctioned, has had its entire staff arrested and its products seized after being accused of constituting an "organised criminal group", press reports. The company is accused of manufacturing products "likely to have psychoactive effects". The company claims that it was licensed and that it was complying with fiscal obligations. It also said the Ministry of Health had previously informed it that HHC was legal. The company's activity will be suspended until the legal dispute ends.
16th October 2023
- US - California: A group of California cannabis dispensaries is suing other dispensaries and manufacturers of intoxicating hemp-derived cannabinoid (IHDC) products to prevent them from selling IHDC products in the state, press reports. The plaintiffs claim that the sale of many IHDC products is illegal under California law because hemp products may not have more than 0.3% of all THC isomers, and inhalable products are also prohibited. The plaintiffs also claim that calling such products “legal cannabis” on their packaging is false advertisement.
6th October 2023
- Germany: The Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) has conducted a risk assessment of hexahydrocannabinol (HHC) in food. It states that the available data indicates that HHC has a psychoactive potential and that its inclusion in edible products, such as gummy bears, could pose a potential risk – including serious poisoning in children due to the confusion with regular food. No regulatory recommendations were made.
29th September 2023
- US - Texas: A state appellate court has upheld a temporary junction that allows delta-8 THC sales to continue in Texas while a lawsuit is litigated. A temporary injunction to prevent the Texas Department of State Health Services from enforcing an interpretation of the state's hemp laws that would prohibit hemp-derived delta-8 THC products was originally entered into in November 2011. Because the appellate court has upheld the injunction, sales of delta-8 products may continue in the state at least until the underlying lawsuit is resolved.
4th September 2023
- Hungary: The government has officially included hexahydrocannabinol (HHC), hexahydrocannabinol acetate (HHC-O) and hexahydrocannabiphorol (HHC-P) in the narcotics list, following the publication of a decree in the Official Gazette. The decree follows the notification to the European Commission via the TRIS database of the same bill last month.
31st July 2023
- Italy: The Ministry of Health has made the decision to classify hexahydrocannabinol (HHC), hexahydrocannabiphorol (HHCP) and hexahydrocannabinol acetate (HHCO) as narcotics. The ban entered into force on 28th July.
19th July 2023
Germany: A Ministry of Health spokesperson has told media that HHC is known to the federal government as a new psychoactive substance and is currently being subjected to an examination, but no concrete decision has been made.
10th July 2023
- Sweden: Hexahydrocannabinol (HHC) and hexahydrocannabiphorol (HHCP), which are currently unregulated, will be classified as narcotics starting tomorrow, 11th July. At the beginning of June 2023, the government made the decision to classify them as narcotics, in response to a request from the Public Health Agency.
10th July 2023
- Finland: The government has submitted two TRIS notifications to the EU seeking to amend the list of prohibited psychoactive substances. The first notification includes 18 new substances – including hexahydrocannabiphorol (HHCP), hexahydrocannabinol acetate (HHC-O) and hexahydrocannabidiol (H4-CBD) – and the second one includes ten substances, including HHC. The substances on these lists would be classified as psychoactive substances banned from the consumer market.
3rd July 2023
- US - New Jersey: Assembly Bill A5440 has been passed by the Assembly and now heads to the Senate. It clarifies the illegal status of modified and synthetic forms of THC, specifically delta-8 THC. It would define delta-8 THC as a regulated form of THC and proposes a maximum concentration limit of 0.3% in hemp and hemp products. The bill aims to make delta-8 THC illegal unless produced in compliance with the New Jersey Cannabis Regulatory, Enforcement Assistance, and Marketplace Modernization Act.
27th June 2023
US - Indiana: A federal lawsuit has been filed in Indiana by a hemp extract manufacturer and the Midwest Hemp Council, seeking a ruling that would allow for products containing certain hemp-derived cannabinoids, press reports. The suit challenges state attorney general Todd Rokita’s opinion, delivered in January, that intoxicating hemp-derived cannabinoids (IHDCs) such as delta-8 THC are illegal under Indiana law. The plaintiffs contend that they are legal under federal law, which cannot be pre-empted by state law.